Hello there, roleplayers of Mischief Managed,
In the last couple of weeks we have both been seeing and hearing about a lot people who aren't following the dresscode rules. As you might know we, as a roleplay community about Harry Potter, try to be as canon as we possibly can. Improper uniforms are NOT canon. Because of this we feel the need to re-inform you about the rules regarding the dresscode.
Please note that the dresscode is an IC violation, and has IC consequences such as detention or loss of house points. However if the OOC staff receives complaints about your uniform violations multiple times or even regularly, we will have to make this an OOC consequence and you will be warned OOCly or punished accordingly. Please continue on reading to make sure that you are safe with your current uniform; from now on, we are going to be more strict over this.
UNIFORMS SHOULD BE WORN:
— At all times during the weekdays (Mondays to Fridays) until 4PM SLT. After 4PM your character will be able to change into casual attire.
— During classes. This goes for classes in the weekend as well.
— To any event that requires a uniform. (We will tell you when a uniform should be worn and when not) This usually goes for assembly's and other IC meetings.
A PROPER UNIFORM FOR A MALE STUDENT:
— Tie of corresponding house.
— Level system house crest.
— Black, grey or dark trousers or dresspants. No shorts or capris, and not brown.
— White buttons up blouse/shirt.
— Black, grey or dark socks. NO stripes, argyle or other pattern.
— Black, grey or dark shoes. No heel is allowed to be over two inches: elaboration later on. Shoes should be closed at the toe, NO boots.
A PROPER UNIFORM FOR A FEMALE STUDENT:
— Tie of corresponding house.
— Level system house crest.
— Black, grey or dark trousers or dresspants.
— OR knee-length skirts of, again, black grey or dark color. Do not wear skirts that are too short: elaboration later on. No shorts or capris.
— White buttons up blouse/shirt.
— Black, grey or dark knee-length socks. Black tights are allowed as well, if sheer, only a little. Again, no stripes, argyle or other pattern.
— Black, grey or dark shoes or flats. No heel is allowed to be over two inches: elaboration later on. Shoes should be closed at the toe, NO boots.
OPTIONAL (BOTH GENDERS):
— Robes, with or without corresponding house colors.
— Black, grey or dark sweater.
HEELS AND SKIRTS:
— As said, heels should not be higher than two inches. Some may want to go into discussion about this and about what may be a two-inch heel and what not, but this is an example of a REAL LIFE two-inch heel:
ANY HEEL higher than this is not allowed.
— Knee-length sock means knee-length sock. Anything higher than knee-length IS allowed, anything under knee-length is NOT allowed.
— Skirts. This is a big thing for all of us. However, knee-length means knee-length. We are aware that you won't always be able to wear a skirt that is -exactly- on the length of the knee. These are examples of an acceptable, knee-length skirt:
Anything SHORTER than this length is NOT acceptable. No miniskirts, not -anything- shorter than that. No Edelweiss skirts: we're sorry, and know that they are very pretty, but NO.
— No blazers or jackets.
— No string-tie, no bow-tie. Just a tie, nothing other than that.
CASUAL WEAR MAY BE WORN:
— In the common rooms.
— During the weekend, unless class, assembly or ceremony.
— After 4PM SLT.
You are free to wear whatever you like as casual attire however, this has certain limitations:
— No mini skirts. Skirts STILL have to be at least knee length.
— Tops that show cleavage. Cover yourself, this is PG.
— No pants or jeans that show buttcrack.
— No stilleto's or high heels.
— Do not show your underwear.
— Shirts or tops should be long enough to reach at least the top of your pants. No midriff-skin should be shown in any way.
— Fingernails should be kept short. No prim nails.
NOT ALLOWED FOR STUDENTS:
— Facial/navel/any kind of piercing. The only piercings that are allowed are those on the ears, and even then, keep those to a minimum.
— Cigarettes - this may result into a ban.
— Alcohol - this may result into a ban.
— Drugs - this may result into a ban.
NOT ALLOWED FOR PROFESSORS:
— Tattoo's that aren't PG-13.
— Cleavage and buttcrack, same here, cover yourself up.
WHAT ISN'T ALLOWED FOR ANYONE (THESE WILL ALL RESULT INTO AN INSTANT BAN):
— No genitalia showing.
— Elf ears.
— Cat ears/nose/tails, horns/hooves, and anything remotely anthropomorphic.
— Anything related to pornography.
— Guns or any other weapons. Wand does not count as a weapon.
— Preggo bellies or prim/mesh breasts.
— Unnatural colored or streaked hair. This means no hair in the colors purple, blue, orange, yellow or any other color of the rainbow.
Keep to these rules both IC and OOC. We take these rules very serious and so should you! It is not fair towards your fellow roleplayers, who try to keep things canon and PG. It's almost Valentines, we got some stuff in store for you! Happy roleplaying.
- Mischief Managed Admins & OOC staff.
If you haven't been paying attention the last couple of weeks at Hogwarts, you've missed quite a lot. After the Banshee attack, and after several students were sent to recover in the hospital wing, Hogwarts seemed to be shifting back to normal. People were going to classes, still a bit shocked about what had happened at Professor Addison's funeral, but as it was supposed to be: they continued on with their lives.
About a week ago, however, one of the students deemed it necessary (and most of all funny) to dump an entire container of slugs onto the school grounds. There were about 60-100 orange, poisonous snails roaming the grounds at first, but within only a few hours those few snails multiplied in number. The entire school was infested with these creatures, creatures which were eating away at drapes, clothes, robes, shoes - everything they came in contact with! The Department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures was informed, but they were busy tending to a lake full of hostile Hinkypunks and couldn't make it to Hogwarts until the end of the weekend. Or that was what they said...
Hello there everybody! In this special blogpost we will be discussing and giving tips to those who are new to Second Life. As many of you might know an article about our RP-sim has been featured at a popular site called Mugglenet. Because of this we have been getting a lot of applications from people who are entirely new to Second Life. Of course, we feel obligated to help these people out, since we were the ones who brought them here; to this strange virtual world! We hope that you, as a newbie to Second Life, won't get scared off by the interfaces of our viewers, and that you will soon feel at home at our beautiful sim. Before you read any of this, be sure to have read the information and rules section at our Mischief Managed website.
The instuctions given are based on the viewer 'Firestorm'. Although you can find most of the options in Second Life's original viewer as well, it would be good for you to download this viewer. Many people use this viewer and it is, according to Linden Labs itself, one of the top-viewers of Second Life. You can download it here: Download Firestorm.
- Sim: What is a sim? When people use the word "sim" they mostly mean a land, server or region. For example, Mischief Managed is located on the "expecto" sim. Though if you teleport to a store, this store may be located on the "Blueberry Mountain" sim.
- Teleport: A lot of times you will be seeing the word "TP" or rather, "Teleport". In Second Life this means, by clicking any button that says teleport, that you will be brought to another sim or location.
- AO: An AO, or "Animation Overrider" is a wearable script that you can buy. It changes the way in which your avatar walks, stands, sits, flies, everything. Every movement your avatar makes, it is controlled by the AO!
- Prim: A prim, or "primitive", is a single-part object. Prims can be cars, houses, jewelery and even hair in Second Life. Objects made from prims are mostly created in-world by using the object editing tool.
- Sculpt: Clothing, hair, shoes, anything can be sculpt. Sculpts can be moved around by using the building tools (rightclick>edit). Sculpted prims can be used to create more complex, organic shapes (in 3D programs) that were not previously possible with the Second Life prim system.
- Flexi: You can make a prim flexible by using that feature in the object building tool. By setting a prim to flexible it flexes, or looks like it's blowing with the wind.
- Mesh: Since 2010 we are able to use "mesh" in Second Life. This can be clothing, hair, shoes, furniture - anything! Mesh is, nowadays, the most commonly used thing in Second Life. The advantages of mesh in opposite to prim or sculpt is that "rigged" mesh moves with the body of your avatar, and therefore doesn't poke through your shoulder as you walk or move.
Did you know that...?
- You can press ALT, click your mouse button and drag to cam around?
- You can choose a "Sky Setting". A few skyskettings will help to make your avatar look better, without those lines near the mouth and so on! Just click on "Sky" (which is located beneath "Build") and choose the skysetting "CalWL". Or have a look, and see what else this feature has to offer!
- You can teleport by copy/pasting an "SLurl" into your local chat box. Try it! Copy this url: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/expecto/87/200/3004 and paste it into your local chat box. Then click it, and hit teleport!
- You can change your display name and your profile. Rightclick on your avatar and choose "Profile". You're now at your profile, where you can fill in anything you want. Most people, in roleplay, make a pick about their character with some basic information about them. Do you see a button with a wrench on your profile? Click that, and you'll be able to change your display name.
- You can set your home-location to somewhere. You can set your at our sim at the Mischief Managed landing point. Not all sims allow this. You can click "World" at the top and choose "Set home to here". As you might have noticed, above that it also says "Teleport home", and you can, from now on, TP home anytime you want, and as easy as possible.
Local chat etiquette in Mischief Managed/roleplay:
- You can find a list of roleplay rules and etiquette here on our Mischief Managed website.
- Use "/me" to indicate your characters name when you type out a post (this will only work if your display name is the name of your character) For example, your characters name is "Stephen Appledinglets": /me sat down on the table of the Great Hall and reached out to a goblet of pumpkin juice. This will become: Stephen Appledinglets sat down on the table of the Great Hall and reached out to a goblet of pumpkin juice. You can do the same if you wear a "rp chatter" which you can get for free at the landing area of our Mischief Managed sim. It's located between the two suitcases with free uniforms. Set your name by typing "/33 name Stephen Appledinglets" in local chat, after you've found the RP chatter in your inventory and have clicked "wear" or "add". After that, you're set and you will be able to type "/4" instead of "/me" with the same result, except green.
- If you didn't get the free RP-chatter at out landing area yet, you could get it for this step as well. Because that free suitcase also contains a free "Titler". You can use this titler by locating it in your inventory and rightclicking "wear" or "add". After that, you can type, for example, "/34 title white Stephen Appledinglets", and the name will appear above your head. You can also type "yellow", "red", "green" or "blue" instead of "white", indicating your characters house.
- Please remember when you are roleplaying to keep your OOC chatter to IMs. If you absolutely need to say something oocly then use the ooc channel on the chatter by typing "/33 I need to be afk for 5 mins, BRB", or by using brackets ((I need to be afk for 5 mins, BRB)). It is common courtsey to other RPers around you.
It's been a tough week at Hogwarts: school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Professor Addison had been last seen giving a class on her usual subject, Mythology, and was never seen to leave the classroom. Rumours say that they saw Headmistress Hawthorne leave the classroom that exact same day: but opinions are devided. Sure, the Headmistress might be a mean person at first sight... but is that all there is to her?
Professor Nettlebane set all students of Hogwarts on the task of finding Professor Addison. A young Ravenclaw girl called Mariette had found her, and warned the Slytherin Head of House. She was at the scene just moments after, and what they found... was horrifying. Professor Addison was found dead nearby the lake: it was a sad moment for who were there.
Just two days later, Hogwarts decided that it would only be right for the woman to have her funeral at Hogwarts itself. Many gathered here, in memorial of Amelia Addison - as well as the Headmistress. After a spectaculair entrance of apparating directly into the Great Hall, she walked towards the casket. She seemed to be crying, and bent over the casket as well. Everyone thought that for the first time, this woman was showing some compassion... but nothing was less true.
"Addison was a... Professor of ..." the Headmistress spoke, many noticing that she couldn't say a single thing about the woman that she considered good. She coughed, "Skill." A few other, meaningless words were spoken until the Headmistress called out to the new Astronomy Professor Wenthworth. He seemed nervous above all, and gave another quick speech that consisted mostly of stuttering.
"Anyone anything else to say?" the Headmistress asked, her eyes on the crowd of students. Everyone shook their heads, except for a 6th year Hufflepuff girl named Pepper. Out of all houses, this Hufflepuff seemed to have most courage of all. Who would ever dare to stand next to Headmistress Hawthorne, and speak infront of a school with hundreds of students? The girls' speech was touching to say at least, and at the end, she raised her wand, and lit it with light in memorial of the Professor. Many students followed her example, and within a few seconds the entire Great Hall was lit by almost everyone's wands.
But then the unpredictable happened: an earshattering wail could be heard all around the school. Professors jumped up in anxiety, as well as all of the students. Many say that the scream of a Banshee could kill: but thank Merlin's great, great beard that everyone survived the mysterious coming of this creature. "Go away foul creature!" the Headmistress yelled to the figure of a woman dressed in white, with hair that covered most of her terrifying face. "You are not welcome here!" Screams followed. Screams of students, begging the Headmistress to do something. Many students' ears began bleeding because of the shrieks that the Banshee let out, and some even collapsed and weren't able to recover at that moment.
The Headmistress, however, seemed to be pooping her pants in anxiety for the creature. She didn't seem like she knew what she was doing. "This creature killed Professor Addison!" was one of her most apparent phrases that night. What an accusation, wasn't it? And... was it true?
The student who had screamed the loudest that something had to be done, was to all odds in a Ravenclaw. And it wasn't only words, because just about when the Banshee wanted to let out another one of her shrieks, Joseph snook behind her and broke her neck. The creature was left immobilized, dead.
Welcome everyone new and old at Mischief Managed. After our article on Mugglenet many of you have joined Second Life but you don't exactly know how to start? Here is a quick guidelist to help you get started!
- Join Second Life! Register, download the client of your choice and log in! If you are completely new, make sure to do the orientation at the starting point to make sure you are familiar with the Second Life interface and how to move around.
- Get to the Platform 9 3/4 at our sim! You are doing great, you are just a train away from the castle:) Please consider, that if you are here, you can't enter the castle grounds yet until you are not accepted to the roleplay. To get accepted, check out the next step.
- Fill out an online application for the roleplay. Get to our website >>> Main >>> Applications >>> Pick and application of your choice. Once you are done with it and sent it, an ALO (Acceptance Letter Owl) coworker will review it and within maximum of 3 days you will be contacted. We have ALOs from all around the world who are constantly checking on the database for new applications to review. (UPDATE: Please consider, now because of the big mass of new people applying, reviewing and giving a response to an application might take up to 5 days. Thank you for your understanding, our owls are really busy to help you all getting in the shortest time possible!:) )
- If you don't have uniform already, grab a free one by the luggages and put your uniform together. For ladies, you can get a freebie black flat here! If you add currency to your account, you can also shop for clothing at the stalls on the platform, or you can also visit shops for more options.
- Be patient till you are being contacted by an ALO. Learn a bit about Second Life, discover blogs about SL, socialize, explore! There you can get the best article I know about to help you in the beginning. It clarifies a lot of things and helps you to grab some free goodies for your avatar.
- Once you are accepted, you are ready to go to the castle grounds and begin your story:)
Hello member of Mischief Managed,
You might have noticed that we we gathered in the Great Hall yesterday for an IC mandatory assembly. However we understand that some of you could not attend (RL always goes first) and therefore, we have put the story together so you know what's going on in the school you RP at.
The clocktower begins to strike the hour. A witch of impeccable promptness, Eponina Hawthorne, stands from her high-backed chair and clears her throat to speak to all students who were seated on their house tables.
The usual is being reeled off: O.W.L- and N.E.W.T exams are up, Quidditch season is around the corner, and they are making preparations for the upcoming Valentines dance. Though she is also reminding Students to be wary of the weather, as the blizzard remains to be quite nasty. Exit the castle at your own risk.
The feast of food begins and everybody is happily munching on away. Suddenly a Slytherin boy deems it necessary to bring out a toast to the new Headmistress and... he spills the pumpkin juice all over her! Eponina is raging. She gets mad and just completely blows up at this boy. Is this the true face of our new Headmistress, or was she just not having a good day? The Headmistress storms out of the Great Hall. Weird...
The Great Hall bustles with merriment! Everyone's eating, laughing, and... well, the only thing going wrong was that the Headmistress just stormed out! ...Right?
"BOOM." Some students turn their heads in recognition of the sounds they had just heard. They could have sworn that they felt the table vibrate, and the ground as well! "BOOM." No, this time they knew for sure that they had both heard and felt something. What was it...? It sure sounded like... something big was coming into the direction of the Great Hall!
"RROOOOOAARHHHHH!!" the loud sounds of a immense, green Troll enter the Great Hall. The creature comes in, screaming and yelling, and attacks students!Havoc and chaos follows! Most are of course, scared.
Lead by our own History of Magic Professor Oreyn Fox, the students began attacking him. Unfortunately two students got injured in this attack, but with the help of our Professor they were able to immobilize the Troll, and levitate him out of harms way!
Rumours say that the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures came to the school... But the Headmistress has not said one word! Suspicious!
We hope you had fun if you attended, and if not, that you can attend next time! We have a lot more in store for you guys.
See you next time!
Mischief Managed RPD Department
So you decided, your character wishes to take part in a try out, play with friends or just give it a try but not sure how the whole thing is going on?
Here is a quick checklist for you to get prepared!
- First of all, get a broom! Don't worry, you don't have to splurge on the best scripted, best modelled one on the Grid, there are also good freebies. For beginners I would recommend this freebie by Tashiana Ziplon.
- Dress up your avatar in the best low script outfit you can. Detach pygmy puffs and flexi hairs, wear decent clothes Sweaters, sneakers, jeans, just anything common sense, I don't want to see anyone in a bikini or in skirts on a broom, Hogwarts is not that kind of school. Remember to keep it low script, no resizer, no unneeded HUDs. Mesh clothing and hair is recommended for playing Quidditch.
- Get to the Quidditch Pitch with your character, full of courage, full of hope!
- Watch this tutorial for covering the basics of how you can play with the system:
- Keep on training and return to this blog often to get informed about the season news!
Head of the Quidditch Department